South of the Whale Branch River in Greater Beaufort County, sits a stop on what was known as the Port Royal to Augusta Railway. Inoperable, the railroad was Beaufort’s only existing railroad throughout the Civil War. Despite only being in use for one war, the railroad in its day saw several different owners and lots of litigation. Chartered four years before Civil War, the railway was extended beyond its original charter, in 1873 finally extending to what was Augusta, Georgia.
The railway was officially decommissioned when it was sold to the Beaufort-Jasper Water and Sewer Authority in 2009 and in the following year the rails were eventually removed.
Photo credits: Fallon N. Green, The Gullah Guide to Greater Beaufort